Initial concept- not used
Which health insurance is right for me?
Creating Cigna Guided Solutions
New Health Plans. New customer decisions.
Initially, I was asked to "spruce up" an application in production that an agency delivered. After I worked on a style sheet change to match our brand, the user testing revealed deep interaction pattern problems and I began a deep dive into the UX.
I was the UX Lead, supervising one other designer
This project was completed over several months
I created sketches, concepts, wireframes, prototypes, specs, and style guides using Axure.
The main goal of the application was to introduce a new mental model to customers to help them purchase a health insurance plan. Customers would now have to choose a plan not only by deductible and premium but now add a new variable - local or national network. User's needed to find out if their providers & prescriptions were covered under each plan to make a purchase decision.
I used Axure to quickly prototype multiple concepts for the "Choose a plan" page.
I brainstormed how we could present questions to the user that would eventually result in an algorithm suggesting the right plan for them.
I created 7 concepts and we tested 4 prototypes
We chose to go with the comparison chart look and feel because, in several tests of different versions, people wanted a side-by-side comparison view, even if it was long and scrolling.
Wireframes let us test the variety of data that was needed in the interface.
One innovation we used was the "find a doctor" feature. We allowed customers to input the provider and we compared across plans to see if the provider was covered under each plan.
Customers loved this feature
We surfaced it on the first page so that the three variables were considered equally (deductible, premium, network)
The wires led us to high fidelity prototypes in Axure.
Over the months, we conducted 12 rounds of user testing in a lab with 8-16 people each session.
We tested the project with Axure prototypes that I created.
The target audience was adults with insurance who are the decision-makers in the household.
We had internal User Researchers conduct the moderated sessions while I took notes.
We asked participants to choose a plan based on a simulated family.
Customers continually wanted the side-by-side comparison chart feature and successfully chose the correct plan when we presented it. This changed our approach from one of suggesting a plan to comparing plans.
I was able to work with the UI design slightly at first and then when we pivoted to a standalone tool I had more freedom to work with the visual design.
I used our brand palette but enhanced the fonts and added more whitespace
I created my own style guide for the responsive app.
This project taught me to be patient, humble, and trust my team.
This was a long-haul project. Day in and day out we worked with data difficulties, agile timelines, customer feedback, and remote work. We pulled together to make clear, informed decisions.
The biggest problem to overcome was the overwhelming amount and complexity of the insurance data and terms that had to be presented. As much as we tried to simplify, there were certain things that had to be explained.
Although we overcame many obstacles, the complexity of the health insurance plan remained an issue. Some participants did not have the patience or aptitude to try to make a decision and so they relied on our recommendation. For other detail-oriented customers, our comparison chart worked well and the recommendation was not considered. I feel we addressed both user styles effectively.